On Thursday 10 July 2003 04:31 am, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I have stayed with 1.2.5 because (a) it works and (b) 1.3 doesn't
> > offer any impovement in the cmyk area, which is my big need.
>
> The 1.3 versions do at least provide the framework that is needed for
> doing color selection in CMYK as a pluggable module. Dunno if that
> would help you though.

As you know most prepress folks want all color images in CMYK form. So an
ablilty to save in CMYK instead of RGB would be what I need.  I suppose one
could use ImageMagick instead but I haven't tried that.

When one saves from Gimp to PNM I assume that is also an RGB format.
There is a program pnmtotiffcmyk which I have been using.  Unfortunately
my preferred typesetting engine, pdftex, now disallows TIFF graphics because
of the many variations of TIFF being produced. They allow JPEG,  PNM and
PDF formats for included images.

For covers I can do the whole thing in Gimp, save in PNM, and use
pnmtotiffcmyk. For color illustrations in a book from Gimp I am stumped.
--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters & Indexers