Hi

Thanks for the advice.
You have two options available to make the libraries "found" -
first, you can add the path /usr/local/lib to the file specified
above, and re-run ldconfig.
I've checked ld.so.conf for /usr/local/lib...its already there/included.

I have also done the following

[EMAIL PROTECTED] david]$ rpm -qa | grep libgtk
libgtk+2.0_0-2.2.1-2mdk
libgtk+2.0_0-devel-2.2.1-2mdk
libgtkmm1.2-1.2.10-6mdk
libgtk+-x11-2.0_0-devel-2.2.1-2mdk
libgtk+-x11-2.0_0-2.2.1-2mdk
libgtkhtml1.1_3-1.1.10-2.1mdk
libgtkxmhtml1-1.4.2-7mdk
libgtkhtml2_0-2.4.0-1mdk
libgtk+1.2-1.2.10-32mdk

Of course this does not show the source file gtk-2.2.2 which was installed yesterday.

Please check in /usr/local/lib to make sure that you see at least
a libgtk+.so first, to make sure that this is indeed the problem.
If not, we may have to dig a little further.
I have done this.  But there is not a libgtk+.  What is there are all libgtk-.

I am beginning to get the impression that the gtk required is not installed.

Also the gtk-2.2.2 installed yesterday is not a libgtk-2.2.2.  Is this the problem??

I also used file search in other directories...there was no gtk in other directories.

Cheers and thanks for your help.

david

David Neary wrote:
Hi David,

david wrote:

The install file quoates

Fix: On Linux and other systems using ELF libraries, add the
 directory to /etc/ld.so.conf or to the environment variable
 LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and run 'ldconfig'.

Only I dont understand how to do this - I simply am lost with this.
What is the "environment variable
 LD_LIBRARY_PATH"??   I have come across ldconfig before so I
understand that-at least!!

This error message comes from the fact that it appears you have
gtk+ installed, but the libraries for it are not found. Those
libraries are typically in /usr/local/lib after installing from
source.

You have two options available to make the libraries "found" -
first, you can add the path /usr/local/lib to the file specified
above, and re-run ldconfig. Then the libraries will be available
to everyone, all the time. Or you can modify or create the
environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH (load library path) to
include the directory /usr/local/lib. This is a temporary
solution for you, for the current session. The favoured solution
would be to add the directory to ld.so.conf.

Please check in /usr/local/lib to make sure that you see at least
a libgtk+.so first, to make sure that this is indeed the problem.
If not, we may have to dig a little further.

Cheers,
Dave.