Hi all

I have attempted to install the latest release of the gimp 1.3.23.tar.bz2. Only I'm having difficulties with getting past the gtk test-infact I dont get past this part in configure.

I've spent much of the afternoon installing updates for everything that has gtk in the package name. I have also installed the source from gtk.org for gtk+-2.2.2 to meet the dependency problem. This did not work.

I looked at the install file as directed by the output/comment.

The install file quoates

Fix: On Linux and other systems using ELF libraries, add the
  directory to /etc/ld.so.conf or to the environment variable
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and run 'ldconfig'.

Only I dont understand how to do this - I simply am lost with this. What is the "environment variable
LD_LIBRARY_PATH"?? I have come across ldconfig before so I understand that-at least!!

Could anyone give some direction...please.

Thanks in advance for anyhelp.

Cheers.............david

I am using mandrake9.1