On Wednesday 21 January 2004 12:27, Simon Budig wrote:
> Joao S. O. Bueno ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > I've tried Simons Patch, and it seemed very nice for me.
> > Of course I am innoi position to word out what should and should
> > not be commited, but from a user point of view, it is nice.
>
> There are two things I'd like to know.
>
> As you know Gimp avoids opening too big image windows when loading
> an image. Right now the size of the image area is restricted to
> 0.75 * screen dimensions. This of course is perfectly Ok.
>
> However, I'd like to know which of the two following behaviours is
> preferrable in case of an image being too big for the screen:
>
> a) open the image as big as possible (zoom-to-fit to a window about
>    0.75 * screen dimensions), this roughly is the behavior of
> current CVS.
>
> b) open the image in the next smaller zoom preset (which would
> result in image windows smaller than the 0.75 * screen dimensions,
> but would have nice ratios) (since CVS does not yet really have any
> zoom presets its hard to compare...)
Hmm...
Actually, 0.75 is sometimes boring, when the whole image would fit in,
say, 90% of the screen, and it shows up zoomed out.

regarding your specific question, it would not be nice if the GIMP
openned an image in a zoom factor that once changed could not get
easily reproduced. So the answer is (b).However, if you could make it
in a way that if the next bigger zoom ratio (in the 2^(1/2) steps you
use) would be no larger than 80% or maybe 85% of the screen it would
be the one used.

On the other hand, I was not around when the choice for 75%  was made,
and there may be strong motives for that.

> Also I'd like to know if the zoom steps around 100% are fine
> grained enough. Homogenous zooming right now is implemented with a
> factor of 2^(1/2) (from 100% to 200% in two steps), but 2^(1/3),
> 2^(1/4) would work as well (three, resp. four steps from 100% to
> 200%) and give finer grained steps.

Yes, it seens just ok.  I would not like to have to hit '+' four times
to get a image twice as large.

Now let's see what others have to say.

> Opinions?
>
> Thanks,