So far I am absolutely happy with the kprinter solution. Thanks Sven for
the hint.
In Linux, we have Kprinter and Gnome Print. I am of the opinion that the
printer manufacturers should provide the ppd's and we should not use our
limited resources to develop additional print systems. But that is my
opinion.
I just purchase those printers that come with the ppd files (HP provides
a lot of them) and can use cups instead of proprietary software. This
will make the manufacturers give it some attention. We are now stronger
by Apple and Linux/Unix using cups.

--
Tom

All Tusonix outgoing e-mail has been scanned for viruses