On Thursday 26 February 2004 03:28 pm, Michael J. Hammel
> On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 14:00, John Culleton
> > A book cover consists of three panels, from left to
> > right: the back cover, the spine and the front cover. I
> > plan to lay these out on three separate images and knit
> > them together.  It is simple in Gimp to make each panel
> > the exact dimensions needed. What is not so easy is to
> > line them up exactly, left to right, with no overlap
> > and no space in between. Vertical alignment is also
> > critical.
> You don't actually have to split first then rejoin.  You
> can do it all as one big image and then, if necessary,
> split it.  I did that for my first GIMP book, The Artists
> Guide to the GIMP.  I've also done it for some CD covers.

> If you have the memory, however, doing all the work in a
> single image is highly preferrable.  I just think its far
> easier to work that way.
Certainly this is a possible approach. But in the long run
it is the same thing. You create an image that is the
dimensions of the ultimate tiff file, including bleeds.
But then you must subdivide this pretty precisely so that
everything appears in the right place. In particular the
alignment of the spine area is critical. It must be
centered exactly, left to right. Whether it is three panels
knitted together or one panel divided into three subareas
the placements of objects are indeed critical. I have even
considered laying out the dimensions precisely in TeX (eg.,
with Pstricks or Metapost) and importing that file as a
layout template---then after everything was aligned exactly
to the template eliminating the template layer and saving
the rest.  It would be easier to eyeball the template than
some rule or other.  And the template would be reusable.

I will experiment with that approach.

John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers