I've read the discussion in GIMP-developers list on the plans for GIMP future versions and their timeframe.

So I can just add the impression from reading the discussion on the new 2.0 version in Russian Linux forum. The main problem of The GIMP 2.0 from the users POW is, it is more powerful than regular users need and still don't have features the professional needs. These features are: more than 8 bits per channel and color management.

So as for me I'd like to see RAW support (I mean without downsampling) and 16 bits per channel first of all :) .

With respect
Alexander Rabtchevich