On Monday 19 April 2004 15:37, David Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sven Neumann wrote:
> > Dave Neary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > xcf is a pure-binary format. It is documented in several places -
> > >
> > > 1) in devel-docs/xcf.txt in the GIMP's CVS
> > > 2) in app/xcf/*.[ch] - notably xcf.c/xcf.h which describe the file
> > > format and xcf-load and -save which do the reading/writing.
> > > 3) in ImageMagick's xcf filter (this will flatten your image and the
> > > floating selection, I believe)
> > > 4) On Cinepaint's website http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net in the docs
> > > section.
> >
> > Sorry, wrong answer. The right answer is: "You don't parse it."
>
> I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. "you don't parse it"
> doesn't exactly tally with being an open source program.

Actually, I do read it as
"XCF is to hackish, and only The GIMP can read it. We need to speed-up a new
GIMP native format, with a XML Header.; Meanwhile use other image formats,
please"

But that means that by all means, the GIMP should have another file format
that could be readable by other apps.

What about starting work on this for 2.2, even if it is not going to completly
replace .XCF by the time 2.2 is out? We could  have an extensible file format
that would hold most GIMP image information, and still not be the default
file format, if that would be so hard to achieve.

I do not recall seeing a new file format in the "2.2" plans Sven wrote up a
couple of weeks ago.