On Monday 19 April 2004 03:01 pm, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Joao S. O. Bueno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Actually, I do read it as "XCF is to hackish, and only The GIMP can
> > read it. We need to speed-up a new GIMP native format, with a XML
> > Header.; Meanwhile use other image formats, please"
>
> Well, yes, but I wrote that in an earlier reply already.
>
> > What about starting work on this for 2.2, even if it is not going to
> > completly replace .XCF by the time 2.2 is out? We could have an
> > extensible file format that would hold most GIMP image information,
> > and still not be the default file format, if that would be so hard
> > to achieve.
> >
> > I do not recall seeing a new file format in the "2.2" plans Sven
> > wrote up a couple of weeks ago.
>
> The plan wasn't a plan but a request for comments.
>
> The new file format we outlined will be strongly dependent on GEGL and
> it will require decoders to either use GEGL or to implement
> functionality similar to GEGL.  In case you didn't notice, OEyvind
> Kolaas is working on this and he already came up with a nice subset of
> what could be the final file format.

I'm just one user of millions, but I hope any new native file format is not
binary. Being able to easily manipulate your data with Vim is a very nice
plan B, in case it gets in a state Gimp can't handle, or in case one wants to
run a script on it.

I do this with LyX all the time, including a VimOutliner to LyX conversion
script.
Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist
Webmaster
   * Troubleshooters.Com
   * http://www.troubleshooters.com

(Legal Disclaimer) Follow these suggestions at your own risk.