I found the comments below from a friend of mine on another
list provaocative. She is not a Gimp user. I wonder how
many of her cautions are universal and how many just
dependent on the program used to create the graphics?
-----quote begins-----------
I visit lots of authors' sites and see many that are
gorgeous. The thing that always tips me off as to whether
they're professionally done or not is the graphics. I
cannot stand jagged edges around images, banners, etc. Even
the most inexperienced designer can clean that up and do it
properly at low resolution, so, I guess it's not so much
that it's a sign of being an amateur  - to me anyway - that
it's a sign of not caring....lack of pride in the work.
Even if a person simply cannot create clean edges (one of
the most common mistakes is using "tansparent" on a layer -
transparent doesn't work..you  need to use the background
colour as the background colour on the image around any
curved lines. Also that "delete" background rarely gives a
clean lift - that all needs to be erased one pixel at a
time.) they can go with text only, or visit one of the
1000s of sites that offer free web tools, or avoid curved
edges (in most cases jaggies are only an issue around
curved edges). Round
 buttons only look nice if they're done properly. Square
(with no transparency and no background) and text buttons
work just as well and will give a more "polished" look.

I'm not a web designer by any means, so maybe those on the
group who are can offer more insight into this.

-----------end quote
BTW I have permission to quote the above from the author.

--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers