I am new to Gimp and I am getting very confused trying to do something I am
sure is very simple.

I have four seperate images of a map which has been scanned in four sections.
I now want to join the four images together in digital form to reproduce the
original map in its entirity.

I am getting very lost in layers and not getting far. I have used one image as
the base layer and tried to expand the layer boundaries to allow for the
other 3 images, but somehow I just don;t seem to be able to work out how I
can paste the other 3 images into the resized boundary.

I am using Gimp version 2.0.1.