Dear friends:

I am relatively new to the Gimp, though I do have some experience with
Photoshop. I know how to do basic image editing and manipulation in
Photoshop, and I am trying to learn how to do this in the Gimp (1.2 or 2 -- I
have them both installed on my Xandros Linux system). The first thing I need
to know right now is how to create or edit a type layer. I've looked in vain
in Grokking-the-Gimp as well as in the Help files for Gimp for simple,
step-by-step instructions on how to do this in the Gimp. I have also tried by
trial and error but have failed. I'm including three screenshots to
illustrate what I have tried to do.

http://www.websher.net/temp/gimp-text1.jpg
http://www.websher.net/temp/gimp-text2.jpg
http://www.websher.net/temp/gimp-text3.jpg

By the way, when I tried to save my jpg image, I was told that I should export
it. But where is the "export" option located. I have been unable to find it.

Thank you so much.

Benjamin
--
Benjamin Sher