Hi!

Well, fist of all, you are encouraged to upgrade to GIMP 2.0
first of all, because gimp 1.2 has no support to text layers at all.

Even on Gimp 2.0 you won't  be able to edit text from a photoshop layer on the
GIMP but you may create your own text layers an dtaht is as easy as using the
text tool.

As for the "export" to jpeg and other formats, it is done automatically when
you hit the "export" button on the alert dialog. That information pops up
just to let you know that layer information won't be preserved on the desired
format at all.

Regards,
        JS
        -><-