I've been trying to install perl for Gimp 2.0, which I pretty much need to use
many of the functions.

However, I keep getting the following output:

checking for GIMP - version >= 2.0.0... no
*** Could not run GIMP test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding GIMP or finding the wrong
*** version of GIMP. If it is not finding GIMP, you'll need to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
configure: error: ** unable to find gimp, make sure it's in your path (version
1.3.15+ required!)

I have no idea what any of this means. Can somene explain it and help me?

Also, even though I have gtkhtml installed and working, it seems to not be
able to find my gimp-2.0 online help. The browser comes up and I get the
following error:

The GIMP help files are not installed.

Could not open '/usr/local/share/gimp/2.0/help/en/gimp-help.xml' for reading:
No such file or directory

Please check your installation.

Got no errors (after much fiddling) for gtkhtml when ./configure-ing gimp-2.0.
So what's up?

Many thanks,

Tom