On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 07:16:53PM +0200, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > As it works in coreldraw, inkscape or other tool.
> > Again:
> > designer's work is making documents with correct
> > kerning pairs, so manual kerning is the job of
> > designer's tool (here it is gimp).
>
> We don't disagree at all except that I think that you are using the
> term "kerning" wrongly. What you are asking for is a way to manually
> adjust letter spacing between individual glyphs. Kerning however is a
> corrective term for letter spacing that is stored in the font. If you

I think one misconception in this disucssion is that font-kerning would be
adequate for typographical work.

This is not the case. Even if you can edit the font, the result will not
always look good at all sizes, rotations etc., and manual adjustment is
often required (font technology is not optimized for large letters often
used in graphics, posters etc.).

> adjust the distance between adjacent glyphs in the text in order to
> achieve typographical effects (or even to correct incorrect or missing
> kerning), this isn't called kerning.

It is called kerning: he did ask for a way to adjust letter pair spacing
and to save this info for later use.

I think that this isn't provided by common font formats to the extent
sometimes required for really high quality work. I do not think that the
kerning table he asked for should be automatically applied to all sizes of
that font (but might be wrong).

--
                The choice of a                              |