Nick Wilson wrote:
* and then olivier ripoll declared....

Right, do you think that photo is now rubbish? do i need to start over

from the beggining?

No, but you will not obtain a final good result with only the eraser or the magic wand selection tool. At some point you need a tool where you can select and deselect easily, on a pixel-per-pixel level, and with a border that will be "feathered" (smooth). The quickmask, with the paint brush tool and a smooth small round brush (1, 3 or 5 pixels diameter) is the perfect tool.

Right, I actually got on really well with using a layer mask! - However,
now i am down to the very fine details im not sure i have the right
brush. You mentioned 'feathered' but i dont see that in the tool
options? Im using a 3px fuzzy circle, is that the same thing? my lines
are a little jagged ;(

The fuzzy circle is fine, it is what I meant by 'feather'. With it, your image should not look jagged then. I managed to get good results with the circle fuzzy 7 and 9. 3 might be too small indeed. You must paint in black in the mask not only what you want to delete, but also the pixels at the border of what you want to keep.

Also, you'd better use a zoom level of at least 2 to do this with more control.

Regards,

Olivier.