I have used jhead in the past and it is a fast and powerful tool.  What I am
trying to do is set another user up with a Linux system.  He is newly arrived
from the wonderful world of Windows and is totally intimidated by anything
console.  I had hoped Gimp would have included auto orientation or at least
an option for it by 2.0.4, oh well.

Does anyone have an idea why I lose the top and bottom of my images when I
rotate?   This is a new problem for me as no other version of Gimp did this.
When I rotate it appears that only one layer is rotating as the background
checkerboard pattern stays in the original shape and position with the
rotated image filling only to the upper and lower limits of the original