On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 19:41 -0800, Carol Spears wrote:

> there are differences between the native photoshop files and the native
> gimp files.  gimp can handle different sized layers and other things.

I'm not too certain Photoshop doesn't. In fact, I believe Photoshop
simply doesn't expose the fact to the interface and resizes layers "on
demand".

> gimp cannot read psd text information as editable, it reads it only as a
> painted layer; at least to the best of my knowledge.
>
> it would be nice if everyone would stop making psd files since not
> everyone can use psd.

In many cases people just want to convert their old work. They don't use
proprietary formats by ignorance, but simply because of a lack of option
and lock-in of their software.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>