On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 20:03 -0800, Carol Spears wrote:

> while i have no idea what the developers are doing, either as a group or
> individually (it is always just a guess about everything and anything,
> not just gimp stuff), i always thought that they kept the ability to
> read psd to a minimum to force people away from stealing and using
> photoshop.  it would make sense if you look at it like a war.

I'd say quite contrary. Giving the abilkity to read PSD will make it
possible for people to convert their old work and give them a way to
"escape".

> THEN i spent a week following things on #gimp some.  there was lots of
> talk and exchange of facts about the gimp raw plug-in.  i haven't seen
> anything here about the raw plug-in, but i did see that Adobe has
> released an updated raw thing themselves.
>
> all this stuff, and i just got to sit back and ask myself, whatsup?
>
> Jakub, do you know whatsup with all this?

As for the raw format (DG, Digital Negative), Adobe did the right thing
and published the spec. [1]

[1] - http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/main.html,
http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/license.html
--