On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:39:34PM -0800, Bill W. wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for following this thread....
> I went to the Gimp.org
> website.....http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html and followed the
> download links. The files were downloaded from
> http://puzzle.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gimp-win/  which is the first
> available mirror listed from the original site. I believe that it is
> located in Switzerland. If I understand the distribution system of Gimp
> files, this would be considered an 'official' release version.
> Now as far as the installation glitch (as indicated in the original email
> starting this thread) I installed the prerequisite gtk modules to the
> default directory offered during the install and the gimp files to their
> default directories.
> When I tried to run the Gimp executable it complained that it could not
> find a required dll. I searched for the missing dll and found it in
> C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin. The error message said that it was searching
> in C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins ..... so I copied it and
> all dll files from the first directory into the second. Now the Gimp works.
> I have been using Gimp for years in both linux and windows.
> My original intent was merely to give the packager (whoever she or he might
> be) a heads up on the fact that the installer is placing dll's in one
> (default) directory and the Gimp executable is expecting to find them in
> another.
>

> I hope this clarifies the issue.

yes, it does very well.

i think you should file the bug report.  limit the report to just that
you used the installer from the sourceforge site and just to the part
about the plug-ins being installed into the wrong location.

http://bugs.gimp.org is the "secret location" and is actually just a
cover for an even more secret site.  there are several menus, the most
important one for this report is to make certain the component you cite
is the "Installer".

the developers are not nearly as fun or as patient as i am, so you have
been warned.

better to use gimp on linux any day ....

carol