Thanks for the attempts to help, but I still don't get it. How does "make uninstall" help me?
does it uninstall previous versions? If not, I don't see how it can help.

I have tried setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH to /usr/local/lib/pkg-config as well as to /usr/lib/pkg-config

The errors I get in the 2 cases when I run configure are different. In one case it tells me my GLIB is too old and it quits. In the second case it says, yes, I see 2.4.8, (the rest of the message is in my earlier email -- see below).

It seems that the pkg-config is getting inconsistent values for the library path.

How do I remove the old version of glib?

Micheal