Most of the things you are saying is true. I am not
sure though about the support for Chinese fonts.
Handling layers in Gimp is as easy as in Photoshop.
You can group them but you cannot clip them as in
Photoshop to create clipping mask.
What I am missing from Gimp is the Photoshop-like
layer effects and the Adjustment layer. These would be
more useful additions than the text effects you