In a nutshell, adjustment layers or layer effects are
not real layers but something like virtual layers.
When you modify an art object using, say an adjustment
layer the original artwork remain intact at all time.
The adjustments layer doesn't alter the artwork, only
simulates the changes. Better, if you later want to
modify the artwork just click on the adjustment layer,
which brings up the dialog with the original settings
that let you further modify the artwork. Otherwise,
every change you introduce into the artwork, directly
affects the original piece.

Hope this clarifies this layer thing.