On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 17:00 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I consider to change what GIMP uses the Space key for and would like
> to get some user feedback on this. Currently, pressing the Space key
> temporarily switches to the move tool. This is sometimes convenient
> but I am not sure if it is all that useful.
>
> Another image manipulation program, which GIMP is frequently being
> compared to, uses the Space key to offer the functionality that GIMP
> has bound to the middle mouse button: panning the image display. Since
> not everyone has a middle mouse button (especially on tablet pens), it
> might be a good idea to follow that example. If we did that, pressing
> Space would keep the current tool but the cursor would change to a
> hand symbol and one could drag the image display (not the content!)
> using the mouse.
>
> Any opinions on that, anyone?

Hola Sven.
I was initially very excited about the GIMP's behaviour. But I found
myself mostly sticking to swapping the active tool with the default
shortcuts. Sounds like a great workflow speedup in theory, but I don't
really use it :/

I see it as a good thing to use spacebar for panning, helping a lot of
people transitioning to the free software tool. Two thumbs up.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Novell, Inc.