On Saturday 28 May 2005 12:32 am, Gezim Hoxha wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 16:00 +0000, John R. Culleton wrote:
> > A long while back I had a selection of fonts available for Gimp.
> > I had instructions for installing  the fonts and making them
> > work. I recall there was a directory in X11 somewhere that was
> > involved. When you used the text function a list appeared from
> > which you could select a typeface and size. Now all that seems to have
> > gone.
> In gimp 2.2, if you don't necessarily want the fonts installed on the
> whole system (i.e. the fonts will only work in gimp), then you could
> just put the fonts in a directory (ex. /home/gezim/fonts/) then start
> gimp and go to "File>Preferences" (in the main window) then on the left
> hand side, click the arrow beside "Folders" (this will expand the
> "Folders"). Finally, click on "Fonts". Now on the right half of the
> window, click the plus sign, then in the text field enter the location
> of the font's folder or click "..." to browse manually. The font
> directory should be listed below the text field, and without a checkmark
> under "writable". Now you can click "OK" and then restart GIMP. As for
> choosing fonts, make sure the "tool options windows" is open, however,
> if not, go to "File>Dialogs>Tool Options".

Thanks for a lucid explanation. I learned the following
additional things:

1. To add fonts globally create a file called /etc/fonts/local.conf
like this:

(Of course different paths may be specified.) Then run fc-cache.

2 . In Gimp, follow the instructions you give above in re. the
preferences dialog. However there is no plus sign in Gimp 2.3.
Instead you click on a little sheet of paper icon, then type in the
directory in the little window to the right of the icon.
3. in Gimp, when in the fonts tool dialog, to get a list of the
available fonts click on the square with  "Aa" in it. This
simple step eluded me.

I am reminded of Bill Cosby's kindergarten routine:
"One and one is two."
"Crazy, man, but what's a two?"

Again thanks. I hope your comments and my additions may be
useful to another person operating at the kindergarten level.

John Culleton
The answers to all your publishing questions are found
in the excellent books listed in the word-famous shortlist!