What I want to know is, is how do I get Gimp 2.2.7 to alter an image's dimensions like that?

Activate the chain symbol in the layers dialog for all layers (only necessary if there is more than one layer) - if you don't "chain" them, only the active layer will be scaled.

Then use the "Scale Layer or Selection" tool from the toolbox and drag the image border (or is it a layer border? - not sure).

When finished with scaling, right-click the image, then click image - fit canvas to layers to re-fit the canvas.