On 9/7/05, Alex Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> M> Can you print with anything else?  E.g. a test page from your print
> M> setup (e.g. CUPS) or another app?
>
> I did get a test page.  I haven't really tried much else (what I did try
> failed, but that was early in the process), since all I really want from
> this printer is to print photos, and there are a lot of reasons why I

If you can't print anything else, it doesn't help, although it *is* a
photo printer, I suppose.

> would like to do that with Gimp.  I have tried the avasys driver for the
> R800, and that didn't work.
>
> I did get a reply that it works with SuSE.  No one has said it works
> with FC3.

To be honest, I have a HP Deskjet 722C.  I use GIMP 2.2.8, and Debian,
but I haven't even touched Gutenprint -- yet.

As for the printer not working...

Then again, does this help?

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_Photo_R1800
[Printer does not support PJL.]

Umm... someone tell us, does Gutenprint or GIMP even touch PJL?  If
not, well... I have no clue.  If it does... *shrugs*  You're pretty
much on your own.

That said, if you have a version of Windows, the Windows build of GIMP
will usually print on Windows' print system... but *shrugs*

Now that I think about it, I think... is it even POSSIBLE to build a
GIMP plugin without GIMP and GTK development libraries?  Someone tell
me the answer... ^^

Maybe try building GTK+, GIMP, and then Gutenprint from source, in
that order.  Use the latest versions stable version if you can (or
feel free to try fiddling with a devel release, if you dare).  Build
dependencies or get the libxyz-dev(el) packages/rpms as necessary.
Good luck.

--
~Mike
 - Just my two cents