Carol> layers and paths are two different things.  the dance floor and
Carol> the dance steps, perhaps.  the dance steps are not limited by the
Carol> location the same way paths are not limited to a single layer.

OK, but this brings up the larger question - I thought the whole point
of layers was that every element of the image would live in one layer
and the image could be manipulated that way.  I guess I saw it as being
like a train - to be on the train, you had to be in one of the cars.
You could not be in more than one car at once, and you could not be on
the train without being in a car.

Do layers work this way, but only for certain kinds of elements?  And if
so, what is ruling philosophy that determines whether an element will be
limited to one layer?