On Friday 10 February 2006 04:46 pm, Michael Schumacher wrote:
> John R. Culleton wrote:
> > Not at all. I was noting that on two different flavors of linux
> > it is necessary to download and install material beyond that
> > contained in the Gimp download in order to get it to compile. And
> > that wasn't true in prior versions.
> Um... you're kidding, right?
> GTK+
> Glib
> libpng
> libjpeg
> gcc
> make
> are also required and not included.

All these and Perl are either included in a standard "full"
installation of e.g., Slackware or Debian Sarge, As I stated earler
previous editions of Gimp have compiled without difficulty. I
have Slackware Current up to date as of yesterday. I have Debian Sarge up to
date as of yesterday. I can compile older versions of Gimp.

My concern is not so much with 2.3.x but with 2.4. If that stable
version requires software bits and pieces not found on most
Linux systems and not downloadable from ww.gimp.org then there
is trouble ahead.

John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers: