Can I do this in Gimp:

I have a simple transition effect in mind for a presentation. There are four images, portraits of four different people. I'll be talking about each one in turn. I'd like to have a transition that starts with the four images in a line, then the one being discussed zooms larger and the others zoom smaller. Obviously, the final image of the transition has to freeze indefinitely--looping or going back to the start would not be helpful ;-)

Seems simple enough, I could do the end points with Gimp in 5', but to make all the intermediates to get a smooth transition is not happening. Besides, an animated GIF in OOo or PPT seems to simply loop, which is no good.

Any suggestions? Pointers to something helpful?

<Joe