> ==========================
> Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 00:39:33 +0300
> From: VytautasP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Mauro Condarelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> CC: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Layer positioning via dialog
> ==========================
>
> Mauro Condarelli wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a set of layers I need to position in the image at precise
> (to the pixel) positions.
> > I *know* I can move them using the move tool, but it is a real
> pain.
> > I Have been searching for some dialog where I can say exactly
> where in the canvas (much bigger than the layers) I want to have
> the (e.g.) top left corner of the layer.
> > I have seen the Layer->Transform->Offset menu, but this gives
> an offset for the content into the leayer, while I need to set
> the offset of the layer into the image.
> > I know It must be available somewhere, but I can't find it!
> :(
> >
> > Thanks for Your help!
> > Mauro
> You can move with move tool with keyboard for higher precision.
> Choose
> layer with Page Up/Down key, press M and you can move chosen
> layer with
> arrows keys by 1 pixel, or by 10 pixels with arrows keys, while
> holding
> Shift button.
Thanks.
It helps.

I would be much happier if I could have some kind of feedback.
E.g.: a box showing the position of the layer into the canvas.

I have to position a huge (>100) number of (partially overlapping) layers on a
regular grid.
The Layers come from a single huge image that has been cut and I want to
reconstruct.
Relying on the image itself for positioning leads to errord that sum up :(
I know the single layers were taken 1553x1038 pixel apart
(horizontalxvertical), so, having the offset, it would be trivial to position
them precisely.

Any further idea??

TiA
Mauro