I have used Gimp on Windows for a year or so without noticing any problems with my other programs. The only problem I've had related to GTK lately was a problem with GAIM crashing, but that was GAIM's fault for not keeping up-to-date with the GTK development. Exactly what programs get screwed up by GTK?

Mike

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 09:40:42 -0400
From: "John R. Culleton" < [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Gimp-user] FYI Users problem with Gimp on XWindows.
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu

I have the writer's permission to forward this info:
One other note of caution about Gimp: I would not try to install it if
you're running Win XP.  The online info indicates that it will run on
Win XP, but it also may screw up other programs.  I downloaded it and
then discovered that you had to install the GTK+ Runtime Environment.
Did that, tried it and, after quickly determining that it was an awkward
program and not one that I would choose to use for anything, discovered
that GTK had messed up other programs.  Took me a couple of hours to get
everything back to normal (had to manually find the bits and pieces of
GTK and reinstall a couple of other programs).

Maybe it works OK with Linux, for which it was designed, but I would not
recommend installing it on Win XP.