On 10/7/06, Saul Goode <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mike Foster wrote:

> TIFF is another good option, however the Wikipedia entry for PNG says it
> uses a type of lossless compression.  Have I missed something here?  I
> am very curious to know the answer as I have started to save my
> completed photographs as PNG because I thought there was no penalty for
> doing so.

I agree with you, Mike. My understanding is that the different
compression settings of PNG only effect how rigorously (and time
consuming) the compression algorith is; i.e., that all PNG files are
losslessly compressed.

PNG supports indexed and grayscale color modes which aren't lossless,
however by default the PNG is entirely lossless