On 10/9/06, Chris Mohler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
When I open a file in GIMP, and save a copy as PNG, open the them up
side-by-side: the colors habe been altered in the PNG (albeit
slightly).  I consider that "loss", and I don't trust PNG for photos.

It would be loss if the colors had changed; however they haven't. I just checked by saving a PNG which had chosen colors in certain areas, then loading that PNG and comparing the color values to the original. No change. Conclusion: monitor display artefact or your hallucination.