On 11/3/06, David Gowers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Do you look at the image at a zoom level of 100%?
> Yes, you are correct - when I zoom to 100%, the fonts are smooth - now I
how it should be rendered when you zoom in or out. Gimp renders the document
at a given scale, and does not re-render it at any time -- it's not a
vector-based viewer but an pixel-based image editor.

GIMPs failure to display the image smoothly is because it takes a
shortcut when zooming out of an image, it just uses one of the values
from one of the image pixels occupying a single display pixel instead
of averaging all that are contributing.
This has been done for speed/ease of implementation, at some point in
the future this will change.

/Øyvind K.
                                                -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/