About the whole naming issue.

I feel that, for me at least, I would like for the Gimp to have a
different name.  This is not because I think that the current name
might be taken offensively, but rather because I find many cute names
convey a lack of seriousness.

I remember recently attending a local club for photography
enthusiasts.  The question came up of what image editing software
various people used.  Photoshop was a frequent answer, as one would
anticipate, as were a number of other Windows based tools.  I made
mention of the Gimp, and people looked at me rather peculiarly.  I
went on to mention that it was a very powerful application and
completely free, but beyond their bewilderment, not even a bit of
interest was expressed.

Now, not to cheer for the other guys, but had my image editor of
choice been Pixel, I might have gotten an entirely different reaction
because of the name.  Even Krita, which connotes nothing but sounds
kinda trendy would probably elicited a different kind of reaction.
But Gimp?  I might as well have been promoting a tool called
PimpDaddy.

A cute name just doesn't spell for me the kind of future user
penetration I would like for the Gimp to have.  Names do have value -
do you think an image editor called 'Snuggles' would gain much
traction with serious photo professionals?  I don't, because just like
'the Gimp', it conveys a tool that doesn't take itself seriously.

$0.02,

Steve