In my response, I had a cut-n-paste error in the last code-segment. The
line:

  (gimp-drawable-set-pixel drawable 1 1 4 (color-as-bytes red blue green
alpha))

should be changed to:

  (gimp-drawable-set-pixel drawable x-coord y-coord 4 (color-as-bytes
red blue green alpha))

The "4" in the line refers to the bytes-per-pixel and would be "2" if
the drawable were grayscale. A '(grayscale-as-bytes value alpha)'
function should then be defined to create a 2-byte array.

--------
"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do
not care who gets the credit." -- Harry S. Truman