There is a way to find out how long a path is; You can find that number,
enable 'use gradient' in the paint tool, and set the length of the gradient
to match that number. Then stroking the path should give the result you
want.

That is if you want a gradient ALONG the path.

If you want a gradient in the brush instead, I suggest you:
* Make a new transparent layer to hold the brush
* Draw the brush once onto the layer (like, a single click with the
Paintbrush tool
* Enable 'keep alpha' for the brush layer
* Fill with the gradient so it fits the brush how you want it to
* Select->all
* Edit->copy
* Select the 'clipboard' brush
* Stroke the path

If you want to keep the brush so you can reuse it -- you can just go to the
brushes dialog and duplicate it.

GIMP >=2.3.9 required.