On 2/13/07, Claus Cyrny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

after reading through a number of old posts to the devel-list,
I subscribed to this list again (after some time of absence),
because I'm not a programmer/developer, but a user.

With the advent of new bitmap editors like CinePaint (ok,
basically not for stills, but for 35mm film), Krita or
Pixel, which are available for Linux (I am working under Ubuntu

"Breezy" at the moment, and am about upgrading to "Edgy"
sometime next month), I'm asking myself what the current state
of the development of 16-bit support & color management for the
Gimp is. (All of the above mentioned programs do include those
features, as does Photoshop. I don't want the Gimp to become a
second Photoshop, since the interface basically has a different
approach, but I guess that, after so-and-so  many years of delay,
it's important to finally include those features. Otherwise I am
foreseeing a major shift particularly of pro users to other
programs.)

Last year I read in a preview of Gimp 2.4 that 16-bit/channel is
supposed to be included in v 2.4. My questions: a) Is this correct,
and b) Are there any rough 'directions' for Gimp development?

Please give a link. Whoever wrote that is mistaken. GEGL integration is
planned to begin after 2.4 is released, and 16-bit support will be
facilitated through the use of GEGL.
Sven would be able to be more specific; I can say that the 2.4 ..
2.6development cycle will be AFAIK dedicated primarily to GEGL
integration.