Hi,

>> This is sort of a hypothetical question... are there any Linux
>> tools, Gimp or additional, that can do "smart" cropping?

VD> If you  mean cropping an image by cutting off the white borders, just
VD> try this in GIMP: Image > Autocrop Image.

D'oh! Did I miss that one.

I just tried it on one of the photos and it doesn't do anything.
The image is the same, there is no message in the status bar, and nothing
in the undo.  HHHhhhhm... I went to the online manual, 9.18, and it
seems pretty straight forward. Is there some trick or gotcha about it?

Thank you.