Message: 7
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 01:22:30 +0930
From: "David Gowers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Getting Screenshots directly into GIMP on
        different       operationg systems
To: Doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Gimp Users List <gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu>

On 7/17/07, Doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > <snip>
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Irrespective of operating system, doesn't just using the 'PrintScreen'
> > key, then opening the screenshot in Gimp do the trick?
> > Followed by 'Crop' to taste.

Actually, no.
On Linux/X11/DWM, for example,  it does.. precisely nothing. Gnome includes
that keybinding you mention, so it will work if you are running Gnome, but
not KDE. Also-- does a Mac keyboard even HAVE a PrintScreen key? Google
saith: no, it doesn't  :)

<snip>

My experience has been completely the opposite. I run KDE on openSuse 10.2 with
Gimp v. 2.2.13. Using the Print Screen key, I saved the image as .png, cropped
it, saved that, and re-opened in Gimp. Ksnapshot took the screen capture almost
immediately. I have not yet tried this on Windows as I resist using that OS at
home; I get enough of that at work.

Regards,
  ~Mark