On 7/30/07, DJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> This gives me a solid 1 pixel left, right, bottom and an anti-aliased
> lower left and right corner.
> I probably created 5 more steps than necessary :-).  Is there a better
> way?
> 1. File->New
> Specify the required height and width and fill with the color needed
> for the border.
> 2. Select->Rounded Rectangle
> Required radius of 10.
> 3. Select->Invert
> 4. Edit->Cut
> This gets rid of the corners.
> 5. Select Region by Color
> Click the image (see step 1)
> 6. Select->Shrink by 1
> 7. Edit->Cut
> 8. I fix up the top with the pencil and eraser to straighten the sides
> and get ride of the top line.
> I noticed when I used File->New, Select->All, Edit->Stroke Selection,
> and selected the second option "Stroke with a paint tool" and selected
> the pencil as the paint tool, that only two sides (top and left) of
> the selection would get outlined. The pencil tool was a 1 pixel circle
> with no other options set. I expected to see a 1 pixel border on all 4
> sides. I zoomed in and looked. If I increased the pixels (ie. 3 px) it
> kind of worked. It was clearly not 3 pixels on all sides. It seemed
> consistent in not doing all 4 sides with a 1 pixel pencil. I am not
> sure if I have something set in GIMP to create this outcome. [GIMP
> 2.2.13]
> However, if I selected the first option, "Stroke line", with a width
> of 1, solid, and antialiasing not checked, I got the expected 1 pixel
> border. In general, I couldn't use this method after a Select->Rounded
> Rectangle because I need the corners to be antialiased but not the
> sides. With antialising checked, the corners were okay, but it also
> changed the color of the 1 pixel border on the left, right and bottom,
> so I came up with the above 8 step method ;-)

I think you could make this much simpler. If radius is constant, then
you should just be able to make a template image of large size (enough
that it's always going to be bigger than your layout). If you make it
using two layers (one for the background color, one for the rounded
rectangle.), then you can easily recolor it (enable 'lock alpha' for
the rect-layer so this will work correctly.)
Then, each time you want something like that, you can just

1. Open the template image
2. Drag-and-drop the appropriate colors onto the appropriate layers
3. Scale the image down to the appropriate size
4. Save with the filename appropriate to your particular project.
(this will also allow you to have a fancier/more carefully done
design, since you don't have to manually redo it each time.)

Does that help?