Hello Adam,

> I just wrote a doc on saving images for the web using gimp. I was
> wondering if anyone could read it and send me feedback?
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Gimp/OptimisingImagesForWeb

At start I was thinking "wow, that is very detailed!" but when you get
to jpeg you loose your breath.

In section about jpeg I would suggest to adding some info about color
subsampling [1, 2]. This option have big impact on quality and file size.

You should also mention EXIF data, they take some space and are not
necessary when considering bandwidth.

There are also other options which worth mentioning...

Default compression level with default subsampling will produce images
with visible compression artefact. Especially when saving non-photo
images, like graphics with tiny red text on white.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling
[2] http://photo.net/learn/jpeg/

In case of PNG worth mentioning that MSIE6 have troubles displaying
transparent images. I've no idea if version 7 fixed this problem.

Best regards
Jan Tomasek aka Semik