norman writes:
> that I haven't yet got Gimp 2.4.1 installed as there is nothing yet for
> non-techies using Ubuntu. However, according to the image in Akkana
> Peck's book it looks the same as in earlier versions of Gimp as does the
> page in Gimp 2.4 rc3.

The new GTK print system wasn't introduced into GIMP until after
"Beginning GIMP" went to press, so the dialogs shown in the book are the
Gutenprint ones, not the new default print dialog that comes from GTK.

> > I assume that the print dialog in 2.4 is a placeholder for soemthing else
> > but I don't know what. Should I be using Gutenprint now?

You can still get the Gutenprint plug-in from the project's web site
http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/ -- or you may be able to
install it as part of your distro. Ubuntu Gutsy seems to install
Gutenprint by default, instead of the gtk print plug-in, but I don't
know what other distros are doing with 2.4. You can have both
installed -- they'll show up in the File menu as "Print" and "Print
with Gutenprint".

I use Gutenprint myself, because of the control it gives me over
resolution, paper type, and placement on the page, its live preview,
and because GTK print is still a bit buggy; but GTK's print has
improved quite a bit recently, so it may yet become usable.

--
    ...Akkana
    "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional": http://gimpbook.com