On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 10:08 -0600, Tom Purl wrote:
> I've recently started manipulating layers with Gimp 2.4, (on Windows)
> and it order to be more standards-compliant, I have been saving my
> images as PSD files . In general, this has worked pretty well for me,
> except that the Gimp crashes a couple of times an hour.  The
> operations that cause the Gimp to crash are pretty simple, and usually
> cannot be reproduced.
> Is this flakiness the result of using the Gimp on Windows or the
> result of using PSD files instead of XCF files?

I don't see how the file-format that you use could possibly affect
stability. When the file is loaded, it's an image. No matter if it was
loaded from an XCF file or from a PSD.

GIMP 2.4.2 seems to be very stable for most people. So it is likely that
there is something wrong with your setup. Or you are just doing
something unusual or are running an uncommon configuration. If you can
reliably reproduce a crash, we would appreciate if you filed a bug
report for it.