Do you mean just type them in?  That isn't working for me.  Wouldn't switching
the encoding affect the whole file instead of just a particular string?  I'm on
WinXP, just using Notepad, which can handle the ascii values I'm using (I was
surprised that Dr. Scheme can't, however).  Typing them into a string isn't
working.  I've tried escaping them and using the hex value with \x, but that
didn't seem to fly with Script-fu.  'format' isn't available either.  The Gimp
2.4 supposedly supports these characters, but I just haven't seen the
documentation to back it up.  Is there another way that you know of?

Thanks for your help,
Jonny D