Thanks for all of your help, Torsten.  I got it figured out.  Emacs wasn't very
pleasant, but it led me to see what I needed to do.  I checked the binary
representations of the characters at www.fileformat.info and used the two
characters they represent to make each one I needed.  For anyone who would like
to see what it ended up looking like, check out
http://pubpages.unh.edu/~jmb97/SDL/NFont/render-nfont.scm
Maybe it would have been easier to write a C++ program that outputs a string to
a file, since the unicode escape (\u00A1, for example) is really simple.
Anyhow, it's done.

Thanks again,
Jonny D