Thanks for all of your help, Torsten.  I got it figured out.  Emacs wasn't very
pleasant, but it led me to see what I needed to do.  I checked the binary
representations of the characters at and used the two
characters they represent to make each one I needed.  For anyone who would like
to see what it ended up looking like, check out
Maybe it would have been easier to write a C++ program that outputs a string to
a file, since the unicode escape (\u00A1, for example) is really simple.
Anyhow, it's done.

Thanks again,
Jonny D

> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Script-fu (Scheme) and UTF-8 literals
> Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 18:31:20 +0200
> Hi,
> > I tried using Emacs, but changing the encoding didn't affect anything.
> Just loading the file, changing the encoding and saving it again won't do
> anything.  The encoding switches are meant for newly entered text.
> That means that you will have to re-enter the characters with the UTF-8
> encoding switched on.
>   Torsten

Give to a good cause with every e-mail. Join the i’m Initiative from Microsoft. GoodCause