Cal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said on May 20, 2008 1:18 -0400 (in part):
 on my computer (Windows XP
Professional) several months ago,
did you do it yourself or does "I had GIMP installed" mean you got someone else to do it?
and the way it was
formatted, every picture that I opened, always opened
with GIMP, which was very handy.
My hard drive became corrupted and I had to get a new
When I re-installed GIMP, I could not find the
necessary gateway to have picture open with GIMP
automatically, and I need to have that option back.
I'm guessing you never saw the screen that allows you to specify what file associations given to GIMP? Simplest way to do what you want is to reinstall Gimp but on the third screen where it asks:

   * Install now
   * Customize

Click Customize instead of Install Now.
After Select Destination Location and Selecting Components next screen will be: Select File Associations. On that screen select all the file types you want opened by GIMP and then just continue with the installation.

Note: due to a "bug" in the installer double-clicking on a file in Explorer will open a new instance of GIMP. If you are comfortable editing the Registry this can be corrected. Otherwise:

   * you have to live with it,
   * drag-and-drop 2nd and subsequent files to GIMP on the taskbar,
   * create a batch file that calls gimp-win-remote with the correct
     parameters or
   * follow suggestion to use something like Faststone Viewer as a
     Graphics browser from which you actually open Gimp using

Hope this helps ...
btw: when replying to gimp lists use "Reply all" and remove the personal e-mail and leave the group address. (Don't ask me why its done this way. Someone said that this is the way news lists SHOULD work but its the only one I subscribe to that does. :-X )

Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail