hi helen,

you can do this with the move-tool but you need to change the settings to
the option move layer or guideline and not move active layer -(it's my
free-out-of-mind translation - I got neither native english gimp nor is it
open now) -  or just use ctrl to change between these two options.
than you can drag and drop the guides out of the picture to delete them.

hope this helps,
tina