* Helen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [07-09-08 12:52]:
> Thank you Patrick.

:^)

> A Q. for bhaaluu:

maybe I can help

> Then when I untar, woulnd't the old files overwrite the new Gimp?  The
> new SuSE install will give me the latest Gimp -- I'd hate to overwrite
> the new version with the old.

no, since your new install with have a newer version of gimp, ie:
~/.gimp-2.2/
vs
~/.gimp-2.4/

BUT, for the new version of gimp to see and import your brushes, the
tar ball would need to be extracted and in place *before* you install
the newer gimp for the install to *import* old settings/etc., iianm.

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 12:04 PM, bhaaluu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I don't think a GIMP install is distro-specific?
> > However, to be on the safe side, why not make and save a tarball
> > of the entire ~/.gimp2.2 directory?
> >
> > [~]$ tar -czvf gimp2.2.tar.gz ~/.gimp2.2/
> >
> > That command, if executed from your home directory (which is where .gimp2.2
> > is probably located) should make a tarball of the whole .gimp2.2 directory.

My gimp 2.3 offers additional paths to brushes, environment, .... that
are selectable, so you may be able to un-tar and then restart gimp and
open configuration to add the prior elements/paths.